Bring me to Orval, Now! - Beerview #020 with @biraatolyesi

After a while, we are back with our new guest @biraatolyesi ! He fell in love with beer after his trips to Belgium, where is now his favorite beer country. With no surprise, he would go to Orval if he had a free flight! Let's read more about his beer journey:




·        How and when your interest in beers started?
I was always a good beer drinker but the real story begins with the business trips to Belgium and having different styles of beers at cafes around Grand Place. When I noticed the different flavors and tastes other than the standard pilsners, I started to take tasting notes, then suddenly beer became a passion for me and lead my beer blog about homebrewing, tasting notes, Beer tours to European countries, and beer&food paring etc.

·        Why did you decide to start your account about beers?
When I learned that one of the best beers around the world is brewed by the monks, this contradiction surprises me a lot and I go deeper on this culture with books, blogs, and beer trips and I would like to share this passion with other people. Especially when I learned that the beer was first brewed in our land, Anatolia/Gobeklitepe. It was one other step for me to love, learn and share this culture.

·        How many different beers you tried so far? Any guess?
I don't have an exact number but it should be around 1.000 beers. I’m still taking pictures and tasting notes on every different beer I drink but unfortunately, now it is harder and harder to keep all this info in one single source.



·        Which country’s beers you like more and why?
Definitely, Belgium. This country’s beer culture is so diverse, unique and most shocking and you cannot believe that such a small country has such different views, tastes, and flavors. With the beer revolution all around the World, countries still important but recently I follow special breweries for new stuff, not the country.

·        Do you remember your first beer? What was your reaction?
It was probably a Pilsner beer and I don't remember such a special moment, but I do remember my first tasting note on a beer which was a Belgian Ale which is tasted at historical café at Grand Place/Brussels.



·        What is your opinion about craft beers? Which is your favorite?
Craft beer is a passion for me. It is a journey for different tastes and flavors. Craft beer culture is so important and thanks to its big movement in recent years, we are able to taste complex, delicious stuff other than standard lagers. My favorite craft breweries change all the time because there are so many good ones but recently; Omnipollo, Evil Twin, Cantillon, Struise are the breweries that I look for most.

·        Which 3 beers would you take with you to Mars?
Another hard question to answer. Selecting 3 beers is almost impossible but I should take:

1) One IPA (Jai Alai, Westbrook IPA)


2) One Stout (Alesmith Speedway Stout, Omnipollo pecan mud cake stout )





3) One sour Ale/lambic (Cantillon, 3 Fountaion)




·        What would you recommend to people who started interest in beers?
Taste as much as you can, especially local beers. And of course, reading is also important to understand the culture behind this beverage. History, process, different cultures, so many things to learn...

·        Would you stop drinking beers if your doctor told to give up? 
No, but maybe I drink less.

·        Fruit beers are getting popular, what do you think about them?
I’m not a fan of it other than special lambic beers which are fermented with fruits. 

·        Do you prefer bottles or cans?
Dark bottles & Can. For beer language, of course, the can is the best option.

·        You have one free flight to anywhere to drink a beer of your choice, where would you go?

Orval!

We are grateful for his nice answers and sharing some more photos from his account below:





Comments