Sharing Megadeth Beer with Dave Mustaine? Meet Ethan Fixell ! - Beerview #005


Our special guest in this new Beerview interview is Ethan Fixell. He is not only a beverage writer for reputable magazines and websites, but also U.S. executive director of Kerrang, UK's longest standing rock and metal magazine. How it is connected? Summary: He shared Megadeth Beer with Megadeth lead singer Dave Mustaine! Before you read the interview we should say, this Beerview Rocks!


·       Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

I'm a freelance beverage writer and educator who contributes to publications such as Food & Wine, Tasting Table, and Esquire. Most recently, I've taken on a role as U.S. Executive Director of Kerrang, the longest standing rock and metal magazine in the UK. So, as you can probably imagine, my two greatest passions are drinking and music.

·        How and when your interest in beers started?

I was actually a full-time touring comedian for about six years. While on the road, during the day before shows, I'd visit breweries in my free time. I began writing about my experiences in a monthly column for Serious Eats, and my freelance beverage writing career took off from there.

·        Why did you decide to start your account about drinks?

My Instagram account is merely an extension of the rest of my career as a beverage writer and expert. I post about the stuff I love to drink! 


Audition for the cover of "Men Casually Enjoying Beer Weekly.

·        How many different beers you tried so far? Any guess?

Ha, I wouldn't be able to venture to guess. It's in the thousands -- that's for sure.

·        Which country’s beers you like more and why?

I tend to bounce around a lot, but I am pretty enamored of traditional British styles. I like low-ABV, malt-forward beers with a moderate-to-mild hop character. Can't get enough cask ale, either! 

·        Do you remember your first beer? What was your reaction?

I do remember my first beer -- it was a Rolling Rock that my Grandpa gave me. I actually wrote about it for Draft Magazine years ago! 

(Ed: You can read it here)

·        Which 3 beers would you take with you to Mars?

Trying to choose a favorite beer is like choosing a favorite child. Though, if I had to take 3 beers with me to Mars;

...one would definitely be an easy-drinking lager (Victory Prima Pils?),



victorybeer.com

...another would be an easy-drinking ale (Lawson's Finest Super Session IPA?), 


brewreviewcrew.com

...and the third would be a sour (perhaps Rodenbach Grand Cru?)


belgiuminabox.com

·        What would you recommend to people who started interest in beers?

Drink! Drink anything and everything. Don't discriminate, and experiment as much as possible. 

·        Anything else you would like to add?

Yeah, I'd like to give a shout-out to my daughter. She's only 6 months old, so I doubt she'll be reading this for a while, but it'll be here when she can. Hi Lucie! 

We cannot stop ourselves saying hi to Lucie as well! You can follow Ethan Fixell on Instagram and Twitter not to miss his reviews for beverages and music.






Comments